It's no secret that sex is an important part of life, but it can be tough to know what a healthy sex life looks like. We've all heard horror stories or even experienced some not-so-great sexual encounters, but it doesn't have to stay that way!
Being sexually healthy isn't as mysterious as it's made out to be. It's all about having a positive and respectful attitude towards sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as knowing the risks associated with sex. It's completely possible to have a great sex life that you can feel good about while being informed and staying safe!
From Abstinence to a Healthy Dynamic
Getting back into the swing of things after a period of abstinence or limited intimacy can be overwhelming. But with a bit of support, you can start creating a healthy dynamic. Here are some tips to help create a healthy sex life:
- Talk to your partner about your feelings and expectations so you both can be on the same page
- Take it slow to help you become comfortable and relaxed in each other's presence
- Be creative by exploring a new activity to reignite the spark within you
- Make time for intimacy to connect with your partner even in non-sexual ways
- Practice self-care, including after-care
When it comes to having a healthy sexual relationship, the expectation is simple: respect. Respect should always be at the top of the list because with respect comes patience, a willingness to please, and a comfortable environment in which to be intimate.
Navigating and Communicating Your Body's Needs
It's important to get to know yourself and your sexual needs and be able to communicate them in a respectful and understanding way with your partner.
- Be clear with your "no" if you don't like something
- Explicitly say "yes" when you like something
- Pay attention to how your bodies react to stimulus
Sexual Health is Something to Embrace
Exploring your own sexual health is an incredible journey that was denied to many. There's no one way to go about it, so make sure you're honest with yourself and your partner so you can have a secure and healthy relationship.
Communication, boundaries, and consent are all keys to a meaningful and healthy sexual lifestyle. Taking a moment to consider what you want from a sexual relationship and how to move forward with someone is the best way to have true and respectful sexual experiences.